A staff member at meal provider Meals on Wheels has tested positive for COVID-19 after recently spending time in one of the agency’s Adelaide kitchens.
- The man aged in his 60s is one of Tuesday’s two new cases
- He came into contact with an existing case on Saturday
- Volunteers and staff who were in the kitchen at the same time have been directed to get urgently tested
The organisation said the staff member attended one of the state’s exposure sites on Saturday night and was currently in quarantine.
The man is one of Tuesday’s two new cases — both men in their 60s who acquired their infections locally, but were in contact with confirmed cases.
The cluster including an elderly man, who attended Modbury Hospital on Sunday night, expanded to five cases, prompting SA health authorities to announce a seven-day lockdown.
Three of the cases are relatives of the elderly man, who recently travelled to Australia from Argentina.
The Meals on Wheels staff member is not a relative of the returned traveller, but caught it from a member of his family when they attended the same event at the The Greek on Halifax restaurant.
“A fifth case has developed and this person was a diner at The Greek on Halifax on Saturday. They have already been contacted … [and] put into quarantine,” Premier Steven Marshall said.
The man was working at the Meals on Wheels kitchen at Hindmarsh in Adelaide’s west on Monday morning, but had “no direct customer contact”.
He got tested later the same day and returned a positive result.
“He informed us as soon as he had been notified that afternoon, following his shift, that he needed to get tested,” Meals on Wheels SA CEO Sharyn Broer said in a statement.
“As a precaution, customers who received meals from the Hindmarsh branch on Monday are also being notified and asked to monitor for symptoms and get tested as soon as they develop.”
The Hindmarsh kitchen has been closed to allow a “complete industrial clean in accordance with SA Health” before it can reopen.
“All volunteers and staff members working at the kitchen on Monday have been notified and directed to get urgently tested and quarantine as per the advice received from SA Health,” Ms Broer said.
“Meals on Wheels SA is working closely with SA Health to assist contact tracers.”
Meals on Wheels prepares food and makes deliveries to those in need, including the elderly and people who have recently left hospital.
The organisation said it would continue to operate during the state’s lockdown.
“Our kitchen and delivery teams are adhering to the high food and safety standards we already have in place,” Ms Broer said.
“All our volunteers have been provided with face masks and hand sanitiser to ensure we continue to provide nutritious meals and wellbeing checks in the safest possible way.”