After profitable The Subsequent Meals Community Star, Aarti Sequeira introduced India’s flavors to her Meals Community present, Aarti Occasion. Together with exhibiting house cooks the best way to make traditional dishes like Aloo Gobi and Palak Saag, the chef shared an genuine Indian Chai recipe that’s tremendous straightforward to comply with.
Aarti Sequeira is a Meals Community star
Sequeira hails from Mumbai, India, and began her profession in journalism. After working as a producer for CNN, she determined to pursue the culinary arts and attended the New Faculty of Cooking.
In 2010, Sequeira competed on season 6 of Meals Community’s cooking problem, The Subsequent Meals Community Star. Along with her distinctive fusion dishes, she beat out all the opposite contestants and landed her personal cooking sequence, Aarti Occasion. When speaking to Actuality Needed, Sequeira mentioned introducing the Meals Community viewers to Indian flavors and spices.
RELATED: ‘The Pioneer Lady’: Ree Drummond’s Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe Is a Meal In Itself
“Indian meals makes use of a number of spices that we aren’t aware of as a result of they’re simply not part of the American meals palette,” she stated. “All of those spices can be found on the grocery store, you may get cumin, fennel, coriander, turmeric, it’s all there, and it’s simply studying the best way to mix them.”
After Aarti Occasion, Sequeira appeared on Man Fieri’s Man’s Grocery Video games as a decide. She additionally launched her first cookbook, Aarti Paarti: An American Kitchen with an Indian Soul.
Aarti Sequeira shares her Chai recipe on her Meals Community present, ‘Aarti Occasion’
In India, chai isn’t only a drink, it’s a comforting custom. It may be served any time of day and is usually made when pals and households get collectively.
The phrase “chai” means tea. And in most of South Asia, it’s typically made utilizing black tea that has been infused with heat spices, milk, and sugar and cooked till it’s wealthy and creamy. On her Meals Community sequence, Aarti Occasion, Sequeira served her chai with candy and savory snacks, together with samosas and coconut toffee.
RELATED: ‘The Pioneer Lady’: Ree Drummond’s Brownie Recipe Features a Shocking Field Cake Hack
Aarti Sequeira’s Chai recipe requires a couple of easy components
To make the Meals Community star’s genuine Chai, you’ll want:
- 2 cups of water
- 1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 4 inexperienced cardamom pods, smashed
- 4 complete cloves
- 1/2 star anise
- 2 quarter-sized cash contemporary ginger
- 2 scant teaspoon black tea leaves or black tea of selection (If utilizing tea baggage, 2-3 ought to do relying on how robust you prefer it.)
- Roughly 2 teaspoons honey, or extra to style (can use sugar if most well-liked)
- Complete milk or half-and-half (evaporated milk can be utilized as effectively)
With all of your components available, comply with these straightforward instructions:
- In a medium pan over medium warmth, deliver the water, ginger, and all the spices to a boil. Flip off the warmth and let it steep for quarter-hour.
- Then deliver the combination again to a boil, and add the black tea. Flip the warmth off once more, and let the tea steep for 3 to five minutes relying on how robust you’d prefer it. Stir within the honey (or sugar) and add milk to your liking. Pressure the tea into particular person teacups or a pitcher.
Tip: For a richer, creamier model, prepare dinner the tea after including milk on low warmth for about 5 minutes.