It is speculated to be chilly this weekend. Like New England chilly. That sort of chilly.
When it is that chilly you study to adapt, which implies you crank up the warmth, pour some wine, and cook dinner an entire lot of meals to maintain you heat. We’re speaking consolation meals staples and thick and hearty soups and stews. For dessert, it is no matter you’ll be able to seize and a steaming mug of sizzling chocolate.
To assist get your thoughts occurring what to cook dinner, we requested some people round city for cold-weather recipe favorites—chili con carne, beef stew, purple beans and rice, and slightly sizzling cocoa to complete. Take into account spending these subsequent frigid few days filling up with this stuff, traditional food and drinks from Molina’s Cantina, Crimson Lion British Pub, Treebeards, and Hugo’s. And keep heat!
Old school chili con carne
Recipe by Molina’s Cantina
A large batch of chili is ideal for these chilly, chilly days, evenings, nights, mornings … no matter. Molina’s has been cooking up its well-known chili con carne since 1941, so this can join you in some small solution to different direly chilly days all through Houston’s historical past.
- 8-10 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and deveined
- 3 lbs 80/20 beef chuck, coarsely floor (request chili grind)
- 2 cloves contemporary garlic (1 oz), minced
- 1 tsp cumin, freshly floor
- 1 tsp dried oregano, ideally Mexican
- 2 tsp black pepper, freshly floor
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cracker meal
- 3 cups water
- In a heat-proof bowl, soak dried chiles in sufficient sizzling water to cowl till smooth, half-hour. Tip: To make sure chiles keep submerged, cowl with a heat-proof plate.
- Mix chiles in a meals processor, with simply sufficient soaking liquid to type a rough puree.
- In the meantime, in a big pot or Dutch oven, brown meat over medium-high warmth till cooked via, 10–quarter-hour.
- Add chile paste, garlic, and spices to pot; scale back warmth to low; and simmer half-hour, stirring often and including slightly water if it begins to stay.
- Add cracker meal, and blend properly. Slowly add water to attain desired consistency, simmering to permit flavors to mix and physique of stew to thicken.
- Season to style with salt and pepper.
- Portion into bowls, and serve with shredded cheese, chopped onions, and Saltine crackers, or ladle over enchiladas and tamales. Or, as was as soon as well-liked on the Molina’s Cantina menu, it’s good over spaghetti, too.
Guinness beef stew
Recipe by Crimson Lion British Pub
Yeah, you must get an enormous heaping pot of beef stew going since you can take pleasure in it over a number of days. Crimson Lion Pub makes town’s definitive stew, naturally utilizing Guinness to carry out slightly malty sweetness. Pub proprietor Craig Mallinson jogged my memory that in case you do not wish to slave over a sizzling range, you’ll be able to all the time cease in and relaxation into the pub’s the hearth room or take pleasure in your piping-hot stew at a patio desk with its personal hearth pit. Both approach, you may be cozy and heat.
(Notice: You possibly can simply double all of the quantities right here for extra servings.)
- 2 oz vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 6 oz purple potatoes, cubed
- 4 1/2 oz carrots, peeled and cubed
- 4 1/2 oz turnips, peeled and cubed
- 3 oz celery, sliced
- 3 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 oz garlic paste
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 pint (16 oz) Guinness beer
- 2 qt beef inventory
- 3/4 tbsp beef base
- 1/8 oz rosemary, chopped
- 1/8 oz thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- Begin by pouring vegetable oil into a big pot over medium warmth. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, turnips, celery, and mushrooms, and sweat them out.
- After about 10 minutes, as greens soften slightly, incorporate garlic paste, and stir.
- Add stew meat, and cook dinner till it is seared and caramelized.
- Deglaze with the Guinness, and let scale back to half.
- Add the inventory and beef base, plus the rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir, shut lid, and let cook dinner till meat is tender, 1–2 hours.
Crimson beans and rice
Recipe by Treebeards
If it is Treebeards, it is purple beans and rice. That is critical consolation meals that makes for a filling lunch, an ideal dinner aspect, or a late-night snack. In case you like your beans thickened, simply take away the duvet over the last half-hour of cooking.
- 1 lb dried mild purple kidney beans
- 2 qt water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 giant bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp floor thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb smoked sausage, minimize into 1/2-inch slices
- Wash and drain purple beans. In a four-quart saucepan, add two quarts of chilly water and purple beans. Soak in a single day. Don’t drain water. Or, in a four-quart saucepan, add two quarts of chilly water and purple beans. Carry to a boil. Cowl, scale back warmth, and simmer two minutes. Take away from warmth, and let stand an hour earlier than persevering with. Don’t drain water.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to purple beans, and produce to a boil. Stir in seasonings, cowl, scale back warmth and simmer 1 1/2 hours, or till purple beans are virtually tender. Add sausage and simmer an extra half-hour, or till beans are tender and start to thicken. (If you’re involved concerning the quantity of salt on this recipe and not sure concerning the saltiness of the sausage, reduce the quantity of salt used and modify earlier than serving.)
- Serve over sizzling rice and prime with grated Cheddar cheese and chopped inexperienced onions, if desired.
Mexican sizzling chocolate
Recipe by Hugo Ortega
Okay, this is not a lot a recipe as it’s a reminder that sizzling chocolate is fantastic, and that is the time to interrupt it out. Ortega’s eating places have been making Mexican sizzling chocolate for therefore lengthy—and he is been transport the components to prospects for therefore lengthy—that it simply feels proper to share his recipe.
If you wish to booze it up, H-City Restaurant Group Beverage Director Sean Beck likes inexperienced chartreuse. Different prospects embody brandy, tequila, darkish rum … simply undoubtedly not clear spirits like gin and vodka.
Oh, and if you would like tablets of Mexican chocolate, get them from the chef himself.
- 4 cups complete milk or water
- 2 tablets (3 oz, every) Mexican chocolate, damaged into chunks
- Mix milk or water and chocolate in a pot over medium warmth. Carry to a boil, about 10 minutes. Stir constantly to fully dissolve chocolate.
- Take away from warmth. Utilizing a hand blender, combine liquid till foamy, about two minutes.